How to… Make Rainbow Cupcakes

Posted by on Mar 4, 2011 in How-To's |

Cakes come in so many flavors, but what about colors?  Coloring cake batter is an easy way to add some extra fun and surprise to your cake.  And kids love it!

Today we’re tackling how to make rainbow cupcakes.  I made these last week for my daughter’s 9th birthday.

Rainbow Cupcakes Inside

You can start out by making your favorite cake recipe (whether it be a mix or scratch) for WHITE cake.  Be sure to use egg whites as specified on the back of the box and NOT whole eggs.  The yolk gives a yellow tint and it will be harder to get nice, true colors.  If you are baking from scratch, be sure your recipe makes enough batter for the number of cupcakes you need.  My measurements are based off of making 24 cupcakes.

After you have your batter mixed up, split up the batter evenly into 6 different dishes.  I got somewhere close to 3/4 cup worth of batter into each color.  But mixes do vary some.

Then take your food coloring (I prefer Americolor) and add a few drops and mix the color in.  You can see how dark my colors are once mixed.  If you do them lighter, they will bake up lighter.  But these baked up nice and bright as is…

Now we’re going to start filling our prepared cupcake liners.  Starting with purple, put about 1 tsp of cake batter into each liner.  I then kind of spread the purple out to cover the whole bottom nicely.  You can see below, the bottom row I spread out but the other rows I hadn’t yet.

Then follow up with the next color (blue).  Add 1 tsp of blue on top of each purple layer.  Note I did NOT spread the blue out like I did the purple.  If you do too much spreading it will start to blend the colors.   I just kept putting one color on top of the other.  As I would dump each one in I would try to get it “spread” out as I dumped.  But I didn’t go back and spread it to the sides.  As they cooked, the batter spread out on its own…you can see that end result above.

And continue on with the remaining colors (remember to continue to work backwards).  Here they are finished & ready for the oven. (I almost forgot to take a pic!)

Bake them in the oven as specified on the box/recipe.  And when they are done…. yay! Rainbows! 🙂

21 Comments

Marrisah
Apr 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

Wow!These look so good.I cant wait to make them with all those pretty colors!

ELIII
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm

yum im making them right now!!!!!!!!! 😉

Mary
Jun 20, 2011 at 7:38 am

It’s hard to impress my 17 year old these days, but these cupcakes did!! Will be making them again and again! Thanks!

Jules
Nov 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

These look awesome! i make cupcakes very often, and my family loves them, so i can’t wait to make these and show my family! Thanks for the great instructions.
(p.s- i love ur website!)

Nina
Jan 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

What kind of batter did you use? I used one from the box and it looked a little more liquid-y than yours! The cupcakes came out like rainbows, but the colors weren’t stacked like in the pictures :/

Steph
Jan 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I used a box mix for this too but I add a package of dry pudding to the mix as well. It helps thicken it up more.

Stella
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

Do you use instant vanilla pudding??

Steph
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Yes instant pudding 🙂

Sarah
Feb 13, 2012 at 8:17 am

making these at my next weeks sleep over<3 delish!

Shirley Wilson
Jun 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for posting a step by step. I am definitely going to make these for a cupcake order on the 16th.

Karen Revely
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:16 am

look fantastic so i will make the rainbow cupcake next weekend bec my hub@s birthday also my goddaughters would love it …looking forward it

Carolina
Jul 18, 2012 at 7:02 am

I’m buying the ingredients now! I can’t wait to make them for my parents!

Krista
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Iv always wanted to make these im going to store now!(: wish me luck

mia
Sep 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm

OMG these cupcakes look sooooo good but i bet you im gonna mess something up, and i make my cupcakes from scratch and i don’t use eggs I use apple cider vinegar and the batter is liquidy what can i do to thicken it up (please don’t say dry pudding mix or something like corn starch. i need something that almost everybody has in there pantry.)oh yeah and i forgot the batter is also a little yellowish tint what else can i do for that?

Steph
Sep 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Mia ~ I am not sure what to tell you as I’ve never heard of replacing eggs with vinegar. Usually if a cake turns out yellowy, its due to the egg yolks. But maybe its from the color of the vinegar in your case? You could look at substituting a flax egg for the eggs instead of vinegar. Is this a recipe you made up or found somewhere?

aaliyah
Oct 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I want to make my mom these for her bithday in a couple weeks how long do they have to cook ?

Steph
Oct 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Aaliyah ~ Just bake them for whatever your recipe says for cupcakes. If you use a box mix, its normally around 18 min or so. I bake until they spring back when touched on top. 🙂

A.
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:19 am

I’m going to try to make these today. My 7 year old daughter is going to help. She likes baking. I hope they come out right!!!

Rheza
Mar 4, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Does the instant pudding change anything about the preparation or baking time of the cupcakes?

Steph
Mar 4, 2013 at 6:58 pm

No, the pudding does not change anything with the prep/cooking. It does add flavor and thickens up the batter a bit. But overall, no major cook time difference. Hope this helps!

Shirley Wilson
Apr 16, 2013 at 1:26 am

I did finally make my cupcakes using your tutorial and they turned out SO cute! Thanks very much for sharing.

Copyright © 2019 A Sweet Cake All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek.